Frequently asked questions about the Travelsafe products

Why do I need travel insurance?

  • You leave behind everything that is familiar - your home, parents, loved ones and doctors. One call to Europ Assistance will keep you covered 24 hours a day, worldwide, for those unforeseen situations.
  • Will you be able to pay for those unforeseen medical expenses, flight delays, theft of luggage, baggage delays, etc? If you can’t afford travel insurance, can you really afford to travel?

Am I covered for pre-existing conditions?

  • Yes, if you are under the age of 70 years. However, cover is only provided for hospitalisation for more than 48 hours and you are not travelling against the advice of a doctor. There is no cover for doctors’ visits and for medicine. If you are taking medication for a pre-existing medical condition, ensure that you take enough medicine with you to last the duration of your journey.

What must I do in the event of a claim?

  • Europ Assistance South Africa is our claims assistance partner and manages claims on our behalf. If you have a medical emergency while you are on your journey, call Europ Assistance on +27 11 991 8419 immediately and they will assist you.
  • Non-medical or non-emergency claims can be submitted upon your return back to South Africa. Contact Europ Assistance on +21 11 991 8419 or e-mail them at assist@europassistance.co.za .  A claim form will be sent to you, which must be completed and submitted back to this email address along with all supporting documents.
  • A claim must be submitted to us within 60 days of your return back to South Africa.

Can I extend my policy whilst I am overseas?

  • Yes, provided you had no claims and the policy did not expire, the policy will be extended.

When should I purchase my travel insurance?

  • When you purchase your airline ticket, you must purchase your travel insurance. Cancellation cover is effective from the date of purchase.
  • Travel Insurance must be purchase prior to departure. Any policies purchased after departure will not be eligible for claims.

Under the family cover, do children share cover?

  • The spouse and husband are fully covered whilst children under the age of 21 share benefits. For example, if the limit of cover for Loss of Baggage is R10,000 per adult, the total limit amount of R20,000 is shared between the two adults and the children. Children are able to be covered fully on an individual policy if required.

I have left country, can I purchase whilst abroad?

  • No, you cannot purchase travel insurance if you have already departed from the country.

I'm going on a snowboarding adventure holiday. Should I take out special travel insurance for this?

  • It’s critical to check the benefits provided by your travel insurance policy. You need to ensure your policy includes cover for adventure activities but this cover does not include every type of sport. Please contact the Regent Travel Call Centre on 0861 900 801 for all the details.

If my car breaks down when I am in the bush, will my travel insurance cover this?

  • No. Travel insurance only covers loss or damage to luggage and personal belongings carried with you on a journey. A motor vehicle is not a luggage item or “personal belonging”.

I'm going hiking in a remote area. Do I need special insurance in case I fall and need to be airlifted to receive medical treatment?

  • Regent’s travel insurance policies include hiking, but not in every instance. You must be on a marked route and should not require any type of equipment. Please contact the Regent Travel Call Centre on 0861 900 801 for all the details.

I'm renting a car overseas – do I need to take out insurance with the rental company?

  • Most of our travel insurance policies will not cover a rented vehicle for loss or damages. You need to arrange this cover with the car rental company directly.

If I leave my laptop in my luggage and it’s stolen, will my travel insurance cover this?

  • Our policies do not cover loss or damage to a laptop or camera when stored in your luggage, because of the high risk.  A laptop or camera must be kept on your person at all times to ensure safety from damage and loss.

If the vehicle is rented by another party, am i covered if i have purchased the Car Hire Excess Insurance under my name?

  • Yes, car hire excess should be taken up by the regular driver of the car despite who has arranged the rental of the car. 

When do i receive my policy documents?

  • Upon completion of your purchase. All policy documents will be sent to the email address provided by you. Kindly ensure that you read these documents once you have received them. 

Schengen Countries

Below is a list of the 26 Schengen states. One of the requirements for acquiring your VISA is that you will need a minimum of EUR 30,000 of Travel health insurance.

  • Austria,
  • Belgium,
  • Czech Republic,
  • Denmark,  
  • Estonia,  
  • Finland,  
  • France,  
  • Germany, 
  • Greece, 
  • Hungary, 
  • Iceland, 
  • Italy,
  • Latvia,
  • Liechtenstein, 
  • Lithuania, 
  • Luxembourg,
  • Malta, 
  • Netherlands, 
  • Norway, 
  • Poland, 
  • Portugal, 
  • Slovakia, 
  • Slovenia, 
  • Spain, 
  • Sweden, and Switzerland.

Which destination do i enter?

  • If you are travelling to multiple countries in one journey then you should enter the name of the country you will spend most of the time in. You could also enter your first destination of the trip. Our travel insurance covers multi-destination trips. This means that you are covered for the period specified and not the country specifically.